I’ve got a lot to write about since my last post, but first things first… Long story short, my laptop god damaged two months ago and before I can go back to posting regularly, I need a little help from you, hardware experts out there, choosing the right computer. (Right now, I am writing this from an old HP Pavilion, running surprisingly well on 256 RAM memory, but seriously… there’s only so much this old man can handle, correct?)
Anyway… With all the options available on the market I am a little bit confused. On top of that, hardware isn’t exactly my forte. (I already posted about this on Twitter, but the 140 char. limit doesn’t allow for all details I needed to share, hence this extended post.)
The obvious questions people are asking me are: what is your laptop usage profile/what will you be using the laptop for? Here’s the answer:
- This laptop will be my main computer, so a decent hard drive is probably a good idea.
- I will use it both for personal and professional activities.
- I need to have several programs running at once, so speed and performance are a priority.
- Mobility is relatively important. I am planning on buying a mini-notebook in the near future for traveling and going to events (in which case I wouldn’t take the main laptop with me) – however, I would still like to have the choice to carry my laptop with me should circumstances require, so its size and weight can’t be an impediment (the Sony Vaios seem good candidates in this department). 14-15 inch widescreens seem ideal to me.
- I often need to work with graphics/images (Photoshop)/videos (editing)/sound (mixing, recording and playback).
- This will be a PC, not a Mac.
I think this gives you an idea of what kind of computer I’m looking for. All my previous laptops have been HPs and I never had any problems with them, but I am open to looking into other brands. I’m somewhat inclined to buying a Sony Vaio, but nothing is set in stone.
My budget for this purchase is around US$ 1,000.00 (with some flexibility). The question is: what is the best computer I can buy, given my usage profile and my budget?
I am particularly looking for advice concerning processors/memory and what to avoid – older technology, etc. Advice on your experience with brands is also welcome.
Thank you in advance if you can share your expertise somehow in the comments. I really appreciate it.